WHITE HOUSE HISTORY

White House

 

The "White House” is (today) synonymous with the Capital of the United States of America. It is where the President of the United States & family live. However, the very 1st Capital of the U.S. was in New York City, NY --- that is where George Washington & his family lived after George Washington became the 1st U.S. President in 1789.

 

In December 1790, the U.S. Capital was relocated to Philadelphia, PA --- occupied by George Washington & family. The U.S. Capital was referred to as the "President’s House”. The last U.S. President to occupy the "President’s House” in Phila was our 2nd President, John Adams. In November 1800, he moved to the newly finished Capital building in the Washington District of Columbia (Wash DC).

 

Over the years, the U.S. Capital has been referred to as the: "President’s Palace”, "Presidential Mansion” or "President’s House”. The name "White House” 1st surfaced in 1811 --- since it was painted entirely white. There was an interruption in 1814 when British troops set it ablaze during the "War of 1812”. The White House was restored in 1817 --- then James Monroe, a Founding Father & our 5th President, was the 1st U.S. President to occupy the restored White House.

 

 

The name "White House” was not made official until President Theodore Roosevelt made it official by having "White House – Washington” printed on the "White House” stationary in 1901.

                                                                                                   #        #        #