· the President of the United States
· the Secretary of Defense
· the Homeland Security Council, and
· the National Security Council
The Joint Chiefs (oddly enough) have NO operational or command authority --- that is the bailiwick of the 10 Unified Combatant Commands (UCCs). [See "Resources" menu for what makes up the "Unified Combatant Commands".]
Enlisted advisor: Sergeant Major John Wayne Troxell is the senior non-commissioned officer in the U.S. Armed Forces; E9, U.S. Army. He is the Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
The composition of the Joint Chiefs of Staff consists of the:
· Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (Mark Milley)
· Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (John Hyten)
· Military Service Chiefs:
o U.S. Army (General James McConville)
o U.S. Marine Corps (General David Berger)
o U.S. Navy (Admiral Mike Gilday)
o U.S. Air Force (General Charles "CQ" Brown)
o U.S. National Guard Bureau (General Joseph Lengyel)
o U.S. Coast Guard (Admiral Karl Schultz)
o U.S. Space Force (Major General John W. "Jay" Raymond)
each of them is appointed by the U.S. President and confirmed by the U.S. Senate.
Each of the individual Military Service Chiefs, outside their Joint Chiefs of Staff advisory obligations, works directly for their respective U.S. Secretary of their respective Military Department i.e.
· Secretary of the Army (U.S. Army) - Ryan D. McCarthy
· Secretary of the Navy (U.S. Navy & U.S. Marine Corps & in Wartime, U.S. Coast Guard) - Kenneth Braithwaite
· Secretary of the
Air Force (U.S. Air Force & U.S. Space Force) - Barbara Barrett
Our programs support our service members while they are on the front line, as they are being discharged and long after they return. Your tax-deductible donation will be immediately directed to the VFW programs where your support is most urgently needed.