· The President of the United States (POTUS)
· The Secretary of Defense (SecDef)
· The Homeland Security Council, and
· The National Security Council
The Joint Chiefs have NO operational or command authority; they are high level advisors. Operational & Command is the responsibility of the 11 Unified Combatant Commands (UCCs). [See "Resources" menu to read about the 11 "Unified Combatant Commands".]
Enlisted advisor: Chief Master Sergeant Ramon Colon-Lopez is the senior non-commissioned officer in the U.S. Armed Forces; E9, U.S. Air Force. He is the Senior Enlisted Advisor to, and reports only to, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff consists of the:
· Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (Mark Milley)
· Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (Chris Grady)
· Military Service Chiefs:
U.S. Army - Chief of Staff of the Army (General Randy George)
U.S. Navy - Chief of Naval Operations (Admiral Lisa Franchetti)
U.S. Air Force - Chief of Staff of the Air Force (General David Allvin)
U.S. Marine Corps - Commandant of the Marine Corps (General Eric Smith)
o U.S. National Guard Bureau - Chief of the National Guard Bureau (General Daniel Hokanson)
each Military Service Chief is appointed by the U.S. President and confirmed by the U.S. Senate.
[Note: the U.S. Space Force and the U.S. Coast Guard are NOT members of the Joint Chiefs. The Space Force is under the Secretary of the Air Force; and the U.S. Coast Guard, during Peace time, is under the Secretary of Homeland Security, while during war time, is under the Secretary of the Navy.]
Each of the individual Military Service Chiefs report directly for their (Civilian) respective U.S. Secretary of their Military Department i.e.
· Secretary of the Army (over the U.S. Army & U.S. National Guard) - Christine Wormuth
· Under-Secretary of the Army – Gabe Camarillo
· Secretary of the Navy (over the U.S. Navy & U.S. Marine Corps [U.S. Coast Guard in wartime]) - Carlos Del Toro
Under-Secretary of the Navy – Kenneth BeLieu
· Secretary of the Air Force (over the U.S. Air Force & U.S. Space Force) - Frank Kendall
Under-Secretary of the Air Force - Gina Ortiz Jones
Our programs support our service members while they are on the front line, as they are being discharged and long after they return. Your tax-deductible donation will be immediately directed to the VFW programs where your support is most urgently needed.