There are many benefits that the VA offers to veterans. Being in a VFW Post exposes one to many other veterans whose wealth of expeience can help; plus there is a Post Service Officer who specializes in working with veterans on their VA Claims.
The Post Commander himself has benefited greatly from the VA. He is older than 35 but nonetheless his list of the various services from the VA, that he has benefitted from, may be of interest to younger veterans:
- VA Home loan - got him into a house with no downpayment
- Never pay PMI
- GI Bill of Rights --- paid for Grad school (MBA @ Georgia State)
- Had both knees replaced by a top surgeon (Dr. Howard Chansky*) --- both knees are great
- Had cataract surgery in both eyes; now has excellent vision & no longer needs reading glasses
- Had right hip replacement (again Dr. Howard Chansky) - right hip is great
Total cost to the Post Commander for all of the above was less than $1,000
* Dr. Howard Chansky is the Chair of the Department of Orthopedics and Sports Medicine @ the University of Washington (UW). He specializes in Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement surgeries. He works at the Seattle VA Hospital twice a week. Reportedly he has done well over 1,000 surgeries in his 31 years of experience.